Wednesday, October 7, 2015

I Was There When It Happened, So I Guess I Ought To Know; ROE (Rules Of Engagement)

Well folks....

It happened.

Sam decided that he couldn't live without Vanessa.

A proposal was imminent.

Since all the planning and preparation will be evident by the time I'm done telling you my tale, I won't drag you through any of that. Instead, we'll jump right in.

Into E-Day, as I like to call it.

Push the red button.

_________________________________________________________________________________


Just one thing.....

Sam had a great idea. The week leading up to the engagement, all of the family and close friends were armed with white roses and given simple instructions.

#1. Present the rose to Vanessa while she was at work.
#2. Get a picture with her holding the rose,
#3. Cause Vanessa much confusion about why all these people were bringing her flowers.

It was beautiful. She was so confused and the people just kept coming.

It was then she began to smell something suspicious.

And it wasn't me this time.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Saturday Morning @9:40 AM

It was the Saturday of the Hearn's 25th Church Anniversary, so I was going to drive Sam and Vanessa over to Keizer to hear Bro. Frazer and Bro. R. Davis preach. Which seemed innocent enough except for some reason we were leaving almost two and a half hours early.

Vanessa was coming over to the house at 9:45, so my parents had left 30 minutes prior to get things ready at the location where this thing would go down.

Sam's choice for the location of the proposal? A second floor balcony belonging to the historic McMenamin's Hotel and Restaurant. More important than its historical significant to mankind, it was the place where they had gone on their first date. It was also the very day that marked the 7th month anniversary of them dating.
 IT WAS ALSO THE SAME DAY THAT MY BISHOP AND HIS WIFE GOT ENGAGED.
(It was also the day that Johnny Appleseed was born. So Happy Birthday Johnny. And Happy Birthday to anyone else that may have had a birthday recently. We don't want to leave anybody out.)

The seeming coincidences just kept on stacking up. It was shaping up to be quite a day.

@9:45

Vanessa pulled up and asked me to store her extra shoes in the back of my car.


Studies show that in order to keep your readers attentive, you have to include pictures every once in awhile. So to keep you from clicking from my blog to a blog I'm linked to, before you've finished reading this post, here you go - a picture of the car that took us on our date with destiny.
Now sit still and let me finish.

 Vanessa didn't know what she was asking.
Put her shoes in MY trunk??? Along with the camera, trip-pod, note, and watch??? (actually two watches, but I'll explain later)

I opted instead to place her shoes in my back seat, and thankfully she didn't insist any further.

She did, however, ask why in the world we were leaving so early. Sam and I hadn't really conspired as to what we were going to tell her when she asked that, so instead of us both blurting out completely opposite reasons, I let him take care of it.

Vanessa: "Why are we leaving so early?"

Sam: "Ahhhhhhh HAHAHAHA BECAUSE! It is good to be early! Look, service starts at 12. And prayer starts at 11:30. I want to be able to get a good seat, so we need to be there by at least 11. To get there  by 11, we need to leave by 10. Which is why we're getting in the car at 9:45."

I'm not sure she believed him, but she didn't ask any more questions, and that's all we cared about.

I swung a left on 3rd St, and parked in front of the hotel. Sam explained that he had a real quick 7-month anniversary present to give her, and then we would be on our way.

All the details get pretty fuzzy at this point because I, with the sole duty and heavy responsibility of being the cameraman, had a lot of pressure on my shoulders. I believe I ran up and down the stairs at least 3 times before they made it up there, I had to make sure everything was right. So if I'm not as detailed on this part as I was on the part leading up to it, I do apologize. I shall rely on the pictures to fill in where I leave out.

Sam and Vanessa moseyed through the 1st floor lobby, up the flight of stairs,  around the corner, and opened the door that led to the balcony.

What they saw was a small courtyard, and the vase of white flowers that we had given to her all week long.

And a single red rose lying off to the side.

Down on one knee he went.



Carefully chosen words of dedication and love, a question, a few tears, and finally a yes.





Sam grabbed a box that had been sitting there, and presented Vanessa with a gift for her to remember this day by.

A WATCH SHE HAD GIVEN HIM A COUPLE WEEKS AGO HAHAHAHAHAHA

He had wanted to make sure that the watch he gave her would fit. So he causally requested one from Vanessa, and took both of them to a local watch shop to get his fitted to match the other one.
And put her old one in the new watch box.

Trust me. It was funny.

To save himself from getting bashed over the head with a vase of white flowers, he pulled out the striking silver new one he had bought, and helped her put it on.


See the one red rose?


Almost done got muhself runned over taking these pics.
(I want to note that these pictures were taken on my mother's wonderful camera, I love it. Also note that I edited all of these pictures on my computer, an experiment of sorts. First time without using any of my dear iPhone apps)





One of my favorite pictures. I think they were actually radiating light.





They're engaged everyone! Can you believe it?? An Avendaño is finally getting ready to say "I do."

He stole her heart, and she's stealing his last name.
SHARE:

2 comments

  1. Aw she's pretty!!! Yes, an Avandano boy is getting married...it IS a MIRACLE!!! This should be added to the Faith chapter in the Bible!!! Actually, that'll be me when I get married! And By Faith, Mary Ginty was married before she died!" BaHAHAHAHHAHA!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comments always crack me up. By faith, my dear Mary! Ahahaha we'll continue the prayer chain, and that you shall find a guy that is worthy of you before you die.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogger Template Created by pipdig