Sunday, November 29, 2015

West Coast Conference 2015

Everyone has their own WCC, which is why you can read multiple blog posts about the same conference, and not feel like you've read it before. Everyone has their own memorable experiences, their own focus, their own moment that made the entire week worth it all. 
So I bring you my week, seen through the reflecting eyes that always look back on each WCC with fondness, and a hope for yet another year.
_________________________________________________________________________________


All my Southwest fans say Amen.

If you've never flown Southwest, you won't know what I'm talking about. 
Every Southwest flight is pretty bearable, and some of them are downright awesome. Over my years of flying, I have heard the flight attendants admonish the adults on the plane, "should we lose cabin pressure and the oxygen masks drop from overhead compartment, first put the oxygen mask on yourself, and then choose the child that might have the most earning potential down the road, and help them put on their mask."
I've also heard a brilliant Southwest poem that I cannot neither remember nor find on the Internet, so you'll have to trust me when I say it was hilarious. 

This flight however started off pretty normal, nothing really unique about it. 

My flight crew - I always demand the window seat
We took off and like always, Caleb was popping around the plane (not really sure where there is room to pop, seeing that there's just an aisle and a bathroom), and while he was about he struck up a conversation - and soon friendship - with the flight attendants. Caleb came back to his seat and introduced (I don't remember his name, so I'll call him Joe) the whole family to Joe. He had us cracking up in a matter of seconds - 

Caleb: "And this is my mom!"
 Joe: "Nice to meet you! And I really don't believe you drink as much as Caleb told me you did."
HAHA

So Caleb heads to the restroom and Joe kind of gives us a weird look. After Caleb had gone past him,  he walks up real quick and removes Caleb's seat and stuffs it in the overhead bin.
Caleb comes back and.....well you should have seen his face when he goes to sit down and there's not much there to sit on LOL

The flight was full of stuff like that, but when Joe came up and whispered something to Caleb, I knew something else was about to happen. 

We were just about ready to land when over the loudspeaker came Joe...

Joe: " We are going to be landing shortly but I wanted to bring something to your attention. He didn't want me to mention this because he's shy, but Jacob, sitting in seat H3, is flying to Fresno to try out for American Idol! He has a great voice, and if we all clap for him enough, he might he sing for us!"

Jacob: "........................................................................"

You know when someone thinks you can do something, but you really can't, and when you say that they are really mistaken, they just think you're being modest and so they insist even more?

Yeah. 

I had people following me into the airport wishing me luck and trying to get me to sing. 

THANKFULLY I ENJOY A GOOD JOKE.

When we got off, we waited for them to empty the plane of people, and then we got a picture with him in the terminal. 

Joe had a flight friend that was hilarious as well - from left
Guy#2, Sam, Me, Joe, and Caleb
Sam has been doing something great these past few years at conferences, and I am incredibly indebted to him. For without him, I would have never driven a Camaro, Challenger, or the new 2015 Mustang. And this year since I was helping pay for it, I got to drive it more, and it was the best year yet.
All of the muscle cars we've rented have been the V6 models, even so, it's been an amazing experience to get behind the wheel. 
This time, however, when I got behind the steering wheel of the Mustang and shifted into Sport mode.......
My eyes got wide. 

Never have I seen a car react like that to Sport mode. The whole attitude of the car changed from "I'm a low level V6" to "Can a V6 do THIS?"

Seriously. You gave that car some gas and it tore out of there. From the highway to the parking lot, I left WCC saying "How much does this car cost? Cause I want to buy one." Good job, Ford.

Did I mention it was a convertible?

Hitting Chick-fil-a is a must, which we took care of in short order. 

They keep on saying we're going to get one in Vancouver, just over the bridge from Portland. And I keep on saying PROVE IT.

We drove into Fresno and the convention center that Tuesday night, and since the entire week was pretty much one big memorial blur, let's start with the preaching. 

All of the preachers at WCC 2015 did an amazing and powerful job. Bro. Nathan Morton, Elder Morton, Elder Garrett, Bro. PJ White, Bro. Michael Brown, Elder Parker...
So much so that I didn't even think once to pull my phone out and get a picture while the Word was going forth. 

But thankfully someone did get a picture of the speaker that I was most proud of.

Pastor Davies (I see Sean, Luke, and Mikey's backs)

If you have read my previous blog on the subject, the pastorship of my church was recently handed down from Bishop Davies to his son, the now pastor of my church. 

And it just so happens that he was asked to preach Friday morning at WCC. I knew he would do an awesome job, but couldn't help stopping by and telling him that I was praying for him.
Let's just say that when the Holy Ghost started moving and it felt like Sunday back at my home church, I was rightly proud and thankful for my Watchman all over again. 

What are you going to do with what you've been given?



It was a good WCC. Did I already say that? So many friends from near and from far, from way back when and from recent. 

Wednesday night we went to Cheesecake Factory (it was Wednesday right??) and I convinced Cherie and Stephanie Marchbanks to ride in the back of the Mustang. That was a big mistake for all of us. 
The back seat of the Mustang is not really conducive to comfortably seat people that are taller than 5 feet. And all the way there, Stephanie sat on my bag of dried blueberries. 

Bethany, Stephanie, Nicole

Speaking of riding in the Mustang, I must give a shoutout to Justin. This young man rode with me through thick and thin, through front seat to back seat, spacious to cramped, warm to cold, top up to top down.... He was there for me, a true friend. 
Especially once you see that back seat.

Cherie, Cara, Me, Vanessa


Nicole, Stephanie, Me, Lindsey, Bethany


Ahh. Such a nice quiet group of young people. 
Or at least that's what we were trying to make it seem to the Yellowjacket so we could talk a little longer. 

I have to commend the young ladies that I hung out with. I believe most all of them showed up to hear all of the preaching of both morning services. 
I'm not picking! I give allowances when you SPEND 2 HOURS ON YOUR HAIR AND MAKE EVERYONE ELSE WAIT. 

Just kidding. 

Wouldn't be complete without an elevator shot.

I have to stop right here and tell you about Avonlee Hosey (hope I'm spelling that right). 
Chris and Cassia Hosey are a young couple that I have been blessed to know, and since they live in Mississippi, I don't get to see them much on the West Coast. 
Avonlee was born this past year and amidst circulating pictures and what have you, it was pain akin to the pain of not being able to see your niece or nephew in real life for several months after they've been born (or so I guess, I don't have any nieces or nephews).

So when Cassia came into church pushing a stroller, I knew I couldn't wait for the end of service to go see Avonlee. And when Nicole whispered to me that I should just go across the aisle and see her before service was over, so I could claim meeting Avonlee before certain individuals, I couldn't resist. 

And folks.......

She is a doll. 

She won my heart in about 2.5 seconds. 


They call me Uncle Jake.

She's already learned to wink!
I said at the beginning that everyone has their own special moments. Well, this picture represents one of my special moments from WCC. 

You put us four together, and you have no telling what will happen. 

I watched the baby while Bethany did Cassia's hair, and Cara kept us all entertained. It was a hoot, and one of the best afternoons I had all weekend.

Apparently Avonlee didn't think I was very entertaining.

SAVE ME!!!!
This kid was always smiling, so when she started crying, you know you did something wrong.


Friday morning keeping with tradition, we all met early and went over to the Starbucks behind the convention center. 

Did I mention that Marvin showed up?? It had been way too long since I'd seen this guy.


BUT. This year we had more than coffee and old bananas. 

We had mind blowing fruit. 

See, up until a couple years ago, I had no idea that there was fruit out there that I had no knowledge of. I thought I'd been there and done that. Bananas, grapefruit, pears.....
Until Lychee showed up. 



I was hesitant at first.....but there was no way I wasn't trying it. 

Aaaaaaaaaaand....


It was good!!! Kind of hard to describe it or I would try. 
My thanks to those who made that experience possible. 


There were lots of things that happened that weekend, and sorting through the memories, I've been trying to keep them in line with the pictures that I have, so as to provide visual stimulation to my stories.
But rest assured, there were a numerous host of good times, and special memories that no picture was taken to remember it outside of the minds and hearts of those who were fortunate enough to have been there.

One of those moments was when Denae Abbott went up to sing during one of the services.

If you haven't heard her music, or heard her new single, you best get yourself over to iTunes and check her music out. You'll find her under Denae Joy.
My newest favorite was her latest release, He Wouldn't Trade Us For The World, but I never thought I'd get a live performance of that song. So when she started playing and singing the first notes of the before said song, I couldn't help but smile. Nothing like Apostolic music.



Friday afternoon, a few of us went to Nordstrom Rack after we had eaten lunch. When I heard the yelling, I knew why the Lord had directed us there. Brand new, still with dealer license plates......

And as they say #nofilter.

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooh.


The last night of WCC, so many good friends showed up!

Me, Emily, Heidi

Caleb, Eliana

Youth Lock-In 2015 - Never going to wash it off, as we say.

Emily, Jenny, Me


Every WCC is better than the last. Thanks to all my friends, the ones I got pictures with and the ones I didn't. We'll see you next year if the Lord doesn't come first!

SHARE:

5 comments

  1. Literally laughed out loud when I read what Caleb did on the plane. Good luck on your American Idol audition!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA thanks. I almost made it past the audition LOL Missed you at WCC man!

      Delete
  2. You just HAD to mention the blueberries... Ha.
    It was another great year! :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahahaha IT WAS A GREAT YEAR! Even with the whole blueberry deal. IT WAS WORTH IT.
      And.....well.....as far as that picture goes........

      Let's just say that I was advised by a certain unnamed party to do some editing or SHE WOULD CUT ME.

      Delete
  3. P.S.
    What happened Cara in the Cheesecake Factory pic?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogger Template Created by pipdig